Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fighting Fit!

It has been hard doing much on the boat due to the typical winter weather so I have been working on my physical strength and ability as I have found that fatigue is my biggest enemy when sailing Spirit mainly in big swell due to the G-forces that are put on the body with the extreme movement of the boat. I have gone through a rigorous medical and physio screening, and have been working out at the gym and swimming three to four days a week.

I'm happy to report that I've never been fitter or stronger in the last 20 years since being in a wheelchair. There is one more big sail planned for Spirit before the circumnavigation of Australia.

I intend to go out for over a week and try breaking my current record of 420 nautical miles solo unassisted. This time the goal is 1000 nautical miles. This should happen late September and early October. So watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment