Yes I know it's Saturday and I said I was going to leave Friday, but I had forgotten yet again about the dangers of leaving Port on a Friday, remembered just in time - well maybe I was also held up by Jo and Bella who decided Friday was a good day to do a day trip to the reef, so all in all Saturday just seemed a better option. Finally got away today after dealing with a concerning leak in the toilet flush, which meant that the toilet wouldn't stop filling, but that got sorted (hopefully) and I was away - thanks to Joe at the Marina and a couple of other helpers who untied and helped push Spirit in the right direction. As I was heading out the Marina, eagle-eye Jo noticed that the main halyard was still tied up to the stay, which we had done to stop it banging the mast in the wind and annoying the neighboors. So I had to turn around and come in - Joe held the boat while Bella did her monkey act and climbed up to untie it. It was a real relief that it was spotted before I tried to pull up the main sail, or it could have been really disastrous.
Am feeling well and prepared for the next leg. I do feel very much like I'm venturing into the unknown so although I am anxious about it, I can't help being just a bit excited at the thought of rounding Cape York and heading across the north of the country. So far today I have been averaging 6.5 knots in steady 20knot southeasterlies, which has meant a quick passage out through the reef and back into open ocean. I should have a couple of days of straightforward sailing, keeping the reef to port, until I have to head back through it up towards the tip of Cape York. My plan is to get as much rest as I can in the open ocean before needing to be alert to navigate around the Cape. If these winds stay consistent it should be a fast passage around and out the other side.